On Monday, June 29, eight ONE Northside leaders, including five clergy members, were arrested for criminal trespassing in the lobby of Citadel in downtown Chicago. We were trying to meet with Ken Griffin, the founder and CEO of Citadel. We wanted Ken Griffin to meet with us to hear the stories of the people whose lives are directly affected by the budget impasse in Springfield due the revenue crisis we’re in and to ask him to call Gov. Rauner to tell him to support tax policies that will raise revenue from big corporations and the 1%.
Ken Griffin is the richest person in Illinois. He earns $90,000/hour. When the Illinois income tax rolled back to 3.75% on January 1, 2015, the average Illinois family saved $580. Ken Griffin saved an astonishing $23 million. He donated $13 million to Gov. Rauner’s election campaign.
This action was part of a series of actions we are organizing along with our partners in Fair Economy Illinois. The actions are inspired by the Moral Monday movement that took hold in North Carolina and has spread to other states around the country. Our aim is to expose the individuals and corporations who profit from our backwards tax code and who benefit when the budget is balanced on the backs of the most vulnerable. We want to highlight that there is plenty of wealth in Illinois. There is no excuse for budget cuts. Instead, Governor Rauner and the legislators must make the wealthy and big corporations pay their fair share.
Here’s how you can support the #MoralMondaysIL movement in Illinois:
- LIKE the Moral Mondays Illinois facebook page. Then you will get updates on actions and links to media coverage.
- RSVP to attend the next Moral Monday Action on Monday, July 13 starting at 10:30am sharp at the Thompson Center (100 W. Randolph) and concluding by noon.
- DONATE to our fund to cover the cost of the legal fees we will incur for the arrets on June 29.
Check out the highlights of the media coverage we received for our action on June 29. The rest of the coverage can be found on the media tab of our website. We must continue to take action to show that budget cuts are not the only solution. Taxing the wealthy and big corporations is the answer!
- NBC5 at 6:00pm features an interview with our leader Terry Bridgeforth
- NBC 5 at 5:00pm features an interview with our leader Sam Wickham
- The Chicagoist
- Chicago Tribune featuring our leaders Pr. Fred Kinsey, Rev. Emily Heitzman, Rita Battles and Joe Crosby
- Progress Illinois
- Capitol Fax
If you want to join our economic justice work, contact Hannah Gelder at hgelder[at]onenorthside[dot]org.