On Sunday, over 1,000 community members joined together re-write the rules and put people first! Over 40 community leaders got up on stage to share their stories along with concrete solutions. 13 elected officials attended and made commitments to work with us.
The Community Convention provided a great opportunity to move our issues which range from moving a local school bus stop, to increasing Social Security payments. A few highlights are listed below:
- The Illinois Senate President Cullerton, Senator Steans, Representatives Davis, Feigenholtz, Harris, and Williams agreed to sponsor and move a bill in Illinois that would raise $2.5 BILLION in revenue per year by closing most of our egregious corporate tax loopholes in Illinois! Come to Springfield with us on 4/20 to help push this bill!
- The members of the Illinois State Legislature also agreed to fight for our spending priorities when they negotiate an Illinois budget. Those priorities include funding for education, Grow Your Own Teachers, Ceasefire, human services, and other programs vital for our communities.
- We thanked Congresswoman Schakowsky and Congressman Davis for their support for the SAVE Benefits act to increase Social Security disbursements this year! Senator Durbin was not there, but on Friday he also committed to sign onto this bill. This is a campaign we’re running with Jane Addams Senior Caucus.
- We celebrated the nearly 1,000 affordable housing units that we’ve preserved in the last year, and launched our new anti-displacement campaign – which will put human need over developer greed! Aldermen Burnett, Cappleman, Moreno, Osterman, and Tunney were all present and agreed to support this effort.
- We also highlighted our campaigns on worker justice, environmental justice, youth issues, education, mental health justice and mass incarceration.
We trended on twitter in Chicago with #ONSUnited4Justice and got great media for the event. Some of that coverage is listed below.
Community Convention Media