Wilson-Broadway Development & How it Affects Your Business
A 197-unit luxury apartment building is proposed for the corner of Wilson & Broadway. Although the building has not been sold yet, the developer is awaiting zoning change approval from the city.
Construction will impact all small businesses in the affected area. Wilson Optical, City Gold, City Sports, Expo Beauty Supply, Rainbow, and Family Dollar are currently tenants of the building.
What are ONE Northside’s concerns with the development?
- Displacement of small businesses currently leasing at the site.
- Lay-offs to be faced by people who work in these shops.
- Disruption of Uptown community values, threats to diversity, acceptance & accommodation of low income citizens. Ex: Winthrop Family Gardens.
- Luxury-priced rents drive up market prices throughout the area.
- Trash/waste management of hundreds of new residents occupying already narrow area; Safety & infrastructure of back alleys.
- Limited availability of affordable housing in new building (>10%).
We want to hear from you. How might new development impact your business? What are your concerns?
Reach-out to us at 773-769-3232 x14 or email@example.com!
“We have a right to be someplace and we have a right to be here, we won’t move!”
“The ‘neighborhood’ is not buildings and streets, but PEOPLE who are CURRENTLY residing and working here.”