As some of you may have heard, a new proposed development for the north-east corner of Wilson and Broadway is headed to the Zoning and Development Committee in City Council this coming Monday:
We are concerned for several reasons:
- The development would create 197 new rental units, but only include 5 affordable units.
- This current process has been created without much community input—it is mainly based on block clubs influenced by the Alderman. We want to have a real process to make decisions around what gets developed in Uptown with real voting power around who represents the block clubs. We need a large public meeting to make a decision about any new developments in Uptown.
- Small and large businesses, including employees, should be notified and be part of the process when their building is bought/sold or to be rehabbed for different purposes. Current employees and a few owners had little to no notice or input about this plan, and there is no plan for relocating for the long-term, local small businesses that currently occupy the space.
- We have concerns about studio apartments and only 5 units of affordability when there is a need for family housing and for affordable housing.
- We want to ensure the jobs that are created go to the community and that real affordability is created in any new housing.
- The building could cast a shadow on the Winthrop Avenue Family Historical Garden. The 4600 block of Winthrop Avenue was the only Uptown block available to African Americans to live. Over the decades, neighbors developed close relationships commemorated by this garden.
- The developer has a track record of being unaccountable to the communities he develops in.
This development has been rushed through a flawed community approval process and we want to see it slowed down! We believe that Uptown deserves a real voice in the new developments coming into our neighborhood.
It is important that we have a strong showing at the City Council Zoning and Development Committee meeting on Monday, September 12 from 9:30am-12pm at City Hall (121 N. LaSalle, 2nd Floor). A group of us will be leaving from the ONE Northside Office (4648 N. Racine) at 8:30am to head down on CTA together. Register here if you are able to join and haven’t confirmed already! Be sure to wear your ONE Northside t-shirt.
For those of you who want to support, but cannot attend in person: Now is your chance! Click here to send an email expressing your concerns about the development to Chairperson Alderman Solis and Vice-Chairperson Alderman Cappleman as well as the full Zoning and Development Committee. The form email is already created so feel free to add what you would like or simply sign your name. Also share the link with friends and fellow supporters! Let’s flood their inboxes!