The Mental Health Justice Team at ONE Northside is fighting to end the stigma of mental illness and to create more dignity and independence for people living with mental illness through raising the personal needs allowance (PNA) for people living in Specialized Mental Health Rehabilitation Facilities (SMHRF) and Institutes for Mental Disease (IMD). The PNA has been set at $30 for the last 30 years and its time for an increase!
We are supporting SB1353 which would raise the PNA to $60/month.
On May 4, 2017, SB1353 passed out of the IL Senate and headed onto the IL House of Representatives. SB1353 raises the personal needs allowance to $60/month for people living in SMHRFS and facilities licensed under the ID/DD Community Care Act, the Community-Integrated Living Arrangements Licensure and Certification Act, or the MC/DD Act for whom payments are made throughout a month.
On Thursday, May 25, SB1353 will be heard in the House Human Service Appropriations Committee. I urge you to complete an electronic witness slip supporting SB1353 TODAY to show legislators all the people who are standing with us!
It only will take about 2 minutes. Simply go to this link: http://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/103670?committeeHearingId=15066&LegislationId=103670&HCommittees5%2F29%2F2017-page=1&committeeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1495487508407
Follow these three easy steps:
- Fill out the organizational/personal information
- For “Firm/Agency” section, feel free to put ONE Northside or “self”
- For “persons/groups represented” section, feel free to put “self” or a group of people you represent (i.e. people living with mental illness, family members of those living with mental illness, etc)
- Check the box for PROPONENT
- Check the box “record of appearance only”