Medicaid, SNAP, Public Schools and Universities, and Affordable Housing are under attack!
This is not an accident. It is by design. Corporate executives and the 1% have amassed undue power and influence over our elected officials, in fact many of them are now elected directly into office themselves. Here’s how their agenda threatens our communities.
Governor Rauner’s 2-year budget impasse caused significant harm to Illinois’ social safety net. This disproportionately effects women, people of color and low-income individuals.
- 30,000 fewer children receive childcare today than in June 2015 due to cuts in programs that provide subsidies for affordable care for low-income families.
- 34% fewer women received preventive screenings for breast and cervical cancer in fiscal year 2016 compared to the year before.
- In 2016, more than 3,600 adults and 4,200 children seeking shelter at domestic violence centers were turned away because these shelters were not funded.
- 90% of homeless shelters were forced to limit intake of new clients, reduce or eliminate services for current clients, lay off staff, implement furlough days or reduce work hours for staff, eliminate programs and close sites.
President Trump’s budget plan calls for these massive cuts to services over 10 years:
- $610 billion cut to Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance programs
- $190 billion cut to food stamps
- $72 billion to disability programs
- $7 billion (22%) cut to HUD for FY18, which funds affordable housing and economic development programs.
We invite you to join our community-based organizing campaign to:
- Resist Pres. Trump and Gov. Rauner’s racist, sexist budget cuts.
- Join a multi-racial, multi-generational community organization.
- Fight for bold policies and programs that our communities truly need.
Contact asanchez[at]onenorthside[dot]org to learn more.