ONE Northside, along with our partners in Fair Economy Illinois, worked hard a couple years ago to stop fracking (a dangerous method of oil and gas drilling) from occurring in Illinois. By generating tens of thousands of comments we effectively created a moratorium for over a year as the fracking lobby tried to legalize the activity. They ultimately prevailed and fracking became legal in Illinois. This month, the first permit was requested under the new law to frack in southern Illinois.
The permit is woefully inadequate and our partners downstate are requesting that we submit comments to block the permit from being approved. Will you take two minutes today to block this fracking permit from being approved? Fracking is dangerous for the earth and for communities’ ability to access clean drinking water.
Here are the instructions to submit comments to oppose the first fracking permit requested for southern IL. 5pm TODAY (7/28) is the deadline for submission.
- Open Woolsey-Application-Comments-07.28.17.
- Copy and paste all of the content in the document into a new email.
- Fill in your name and phone number at the end of the letter portion (~4th paragraph)
- Put “HVHHF #000001” in the Subject Line of the e-mail as well as the body.
- Send the e-mail to: DNR.HFPublicComments@illinois.gov
Please spread the word to colleagues and friends who want to stop fracking. Please email hgelder[at]onenorthside[dot]org to report your comment.