After weeks of closed door negotiations, the GOP in the Senate has released their version of the American Health Care Act (AHCA). This bill will slam Illinois’ healthcare system, directly affecting the lives of women, low income communities, communities of color, people living with mental illness, seniors, and veterans the most—all while giving huge tax breaks to the wealthy drug and insurance companies. We MUST fight back!
Nationally, the Senate Bill will cause 23 Million Americans lose their heath insurance by 2026 and 14 Million to lose Medicaid coverage.
The Senate bill will effectively…
- Cause nearly 710,200 people will lose healthcare coverage in Illinois alone
- End Medicaid expansion which extended coverage to 681,000 Illinois residents and 11 million people nationwide
- Weaken Medicare by shortening life trust fund by 2 years, undermining the health of 58 million elderly and disabled people
- Replace ACA subsidies with flat tax credits. This increases premiums by 20% next year by eliminating the individual mandate. This still makes coverage much less affordable, especially for low-income people and middle-income older people
- Defund Planned Parenthood, threatening the healthcare of the 2.4 million people that use these clinics
- Allow Illinois to waive healthcare standards and discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions such as maternity care, mental health care and cancer treatments, and could be result in heavy out of pocket expenses
Just yesterday, the Congressional Budget Office came out with its report on the impact of the AHCA. The numbers tell the entire story–this bill fundamentally reshapes America’s health care and one-sixth of the economy to take from the poor and middle class to give to the very rich. Simply put, it’s the most massive transfer of wealth in the history of our country. It shocks the conscience that senators would cut $772 billion in life-saving Medicaid to pay for $541 billion in tax breaks to the rich. In the midst of millions of Americans’ healthcare being put in jeopardy, rich and wealthy corporations are walking away with massive tax breaks.
This is NOT A DRILL—Trump wants to pass it this week! Join us TOMORROW (Wednesday, June 28) at noon outside the Thompson Center (100 W. Randolph) to rally with other Illinoisans to shout “Medicaid not Millionaires!” and demand that Gov. Rauner take a public stand in opposition to the AHCA. This falls immediately following the #RaisethePNA rally that the Mental Health Justice Team is leading at 11am outside of Margaret Manor Central (1121 N. Orleans). Join us for the PNA action and then head downtown together!
Thank you for all of your support in fighting for healthcare for all!