As you probably heard, the Republicans introduced their plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare) yesterday (March 6, 2017). They used a very secretive process putting it together in a closed off basement room at the Capitol. There also hasn’t been any time for public input or a score from the Congressional Budget Office (which shows the impact of their policies to people’s lives and the financial impact on the Country’s budget). Here’s the short of what their bill means: fewer covered, weaker protections, higher costs. Join the ONE Northside Healthcare Rapid Response list to be a key community leader we can count on to take action to protect healthcare for all!
Here are some key items included in the new health care plan that threaten the values of ONE Northside:
- Ends Medicaid expansion: Makes it impossible for states to continue Medicaid expansion, meaning millions fewer would have coverage. States would also be on the hook for the full cost of meeting the needs of the opioid crisis and would be forced to cut back services and ration care exactly when people needed it most – and the same could be true in any future public health crisis.
- Sets the stage for deep cuts to funding for Medicaid through per-capita caps: To help pay for their plan, it creates caps to Medicaid funding that will ultimately result in shifting responsibility to the states — leaving Governors and state legislatures no choice but to reduce coverage and increase costs for millions of additional seniors, low-income families, people with disabilities, and children
- Reduces tax credits making coverage less affordable: Makes coverage out of reach for millions of moderate-income families by reducing the size of the tax credits that make coverage affordable. A recent analysis from Kaiser Family Foundation found that many would pay thousands more.
- Higher premiums and out-of-pocket costs – especially for older people: For those who keep coverage, premiums and out-of-pocket costs will rise, especially for older people, because the bill allows insurance companies to charge much higher premiums than current law.
- Undermines protections for those with pre-existing conditions: If someone has a gap in coverage, even for a couple of months, they would be forced to pay a hefty penalty for the next year – meaning, good-quality coverage would once again be out of reach for millions.
- Provides health savings accounts for the rich: Health savings accounts are great if you’re rich but most don’t have the extra money to take advantage of them so really it’s just another tax break for the wealthiest. For people living paycheck-to-paycheck, this doesn’t make health care more affordable or accessible.
- Defunds Planned Parenthood: Risks cutting off essential care from millions of patients who depend on Planned Parenthood for their care.
The bottom line is that Republicans are choosing to take healthcare away from millions of people by cutting the ACA, Medicare and Medicaid so that they can provide tax cuts to the rich and big corporations. Take action to fight by back joining the ONE Northside Healthcare Rapid Response List!