The Workers’ Rights Committee at ONE Northside consists of members who live, work, and worship in the diverse communities of Chicago’s North Side. Though we are concentrated in the north side, we strive to improve the general quality of life for all who live in this great city and state.
Work is more than just a means by which to make a living. It is an investment of time, talent, and energy that we make in our employers. It is time spent away from our homes and families so that we may achieve and maintain a good quality of life and meet the temporal needs of ourselves and the important people in our lives. No one should be living in poverty, in particular individuals in the workforce.
The purpose of the Worker Rights Committee platform is to acknowledge the value of workers’ investments while ensuring fair compensation and fair treatment from employers for the diverse mix of people in the workforce. By recognizing and promoting more equitable work environments, not only do individual workers benefit–we also help create a better future for our families and communities.
Therefore, the ONE Northside Worker Rights Committee stands for the following principles:
-We support the key elements that are core to a Worker Bill of Rights:
- Living wages
- The right to organize without fear and intimidation
- Paid sick leave and parental leave
- Fair scheduling
- Opposing wage theft and unorthodox forms of payment
- Non-intrusive, non-discriminatory hiring and firing practices
- Freedom from sexual, social, verbal harassment
- Freedom from structural racism and sexism (including any pay or treatment disparities between minority/oppressed groups and majority/privileged groups)
- Fair opportunities for skill development and advancement
- “Right to Know” laws that make information available to workers about the products they are working with
- Clean, healthy workplaces
-We support all workers earning a living wage
- More specifically, we support campaigns that work to make a living wage a reality (such as the Fight for $15)
- We also support and encourage member organizations of ONE Northside to pay workers a living wage. We acknowledge that this cannot happen overnight, but offer support to get there.
-We support the rights of workers to organize in fair, open, democratic and transparent environments. More specifically, we support the following:
- Closed-shop collective bargaining, a union security agreement requiring union membership for all employees in that workplace
- The Illinois “fair-share” agency fee policy, a fee for non-union members to cover the benefits and services provided to the employees by the unions regardless of employee union status